History of the Library


Pope Alexander VII  The Library was founded in 1667 by  Pope Alessando VII in the Ancient Studium Urbis, designed by Francesco Borromini,  in order to provide a new library for the Universtity of Rome. In 1670 it was opened to the public with a collection of 35,000 volumes and a subject and authors catalogue. First grants were books from A. De Angelis, G. Panzani, V. De Pretis, duplicates of Vatican and Chigiana Library, "Biblioteca Aniciana" of C. Caetani and  "Libreria impressa" of the Dukes of Urbino. In 1935 it moved into new Sapienza Campus.
It is a Public Library depending on the  Ministry of Arts and Culture - General Direction for Library Heritage and Cultural Institutes. It is, by the Legal Deposit Law, entitled to receive one copy of all publications printed in Regione Lazio. Its  holdings also include a comprehensive collection of books and publications from Italy and other countries, with a special emphasis on literature, history and law.
The Library currently holds over 1 million volumes;  about 452 manuscripts; approximately 674 incunabula; over 15,000 sixteenth-century publications; periodicals; maps and drawings.
The Library's audiovisual and multimedia collection is constantly being increased 

See also in this website Publications from and about the Library